The NAACP Lincoln Branch has four (4) Community Service Scholarships available to Lincoln Public Schools (LPS) high school seniors. The amount of each scholarship is up to $1,000.
Any LPS high school 2020 graduating senior (regardless of race, gender, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation) who will attend a postsecondary accredited institution in the fall and is a member of the NAACP Lincoln Youth Council.
To provide scholarships to four (4) deserving LPS high school graduating seniors intending to enter a postsecondary accredited institution in the fall of 2020.
Applicants must demonstrate a need, and a record of service to members of their local
community as documented through letters of recommendation.
Examples of community service include promoting diversity through organizational work; assisting low-income families, the elderly, veterans, and/or the disabled; belonging to the NAACP Lincoln Youth Council, etc.
2020 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
CONDITIONS FOR PAYMENT OF SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS:
Successful scholarship recipients must provide proof of enrollment from the postsecondary institution prior to receiving scholarship funds.
FIELDS OF STUDY:
Applicant must submit the following items:
- Completed application form (typed in Times New Roman font, size 12).
- Letter of application addressed to the Scholarship Committee. The letter should contain a brief explanation of career goals and biographical (background) information.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. Choose from high school teachers, administrators, counselors, employers, or individuals with significant knowledge of applicant’s experience and involvement.
- An official and recent high school transcript with cumulative grade point average and a class standing/rank.
- A two-page double spaced personal essay on one of the following topics:
- “How I plan to contribute to civil rights and social justice in the next 5 to 10 years.” OR
- “How my service to others has impacted my community and made me a better citizen.”
- A digital photo of the applicant, for possible publication.
Attn: Scholarship Awards Committee
NAACP Lincoln Branch
P.O. Box 81322
Lincoln, NE 68501-1322